« Home | the beginning » | thoughts on spiritual gifts » | a shocking confession » | the beautiful desert » | my confession » | my fabulous husband » | oh to write like Dostoyevsky » | My "I told you so" moment » | Josh, Kel and Kayla » | Happy V-Day! »

the wonders of Death Valley

Well, Caleb and I have finally gotten all our pictures from Death Valley up on the website. Following is a small sampling, and some of my favorite reasons why we visit Death Valley at all.

Where else in the world can you take your pictures under THIS sign? The lowest point in the valley is actually 282 feet below sea level, the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere.

This is called Golden Canyon, and is one of the most beautiful spots in the valley, especially when the light hits the hills just right. As you go through the full set of pictures in the gallery, you'll see how it attracts photographers like paparazzi.

Looking in the rear view mirror you can see the dust trail we're leaving behind us. Death Valley is home to hundreds of miles of dirt road, and usually the longer the dirt road, the more worthy the destination. Dirt roads took us to the Racetrack, through Titus Canyon, and all the way out to the Eureka Sand Dunes, some of the biggest dunes I've ever seen in my life.

I love dirt roads.

Death Valley really is a photographer's paradise. Here, my husband and my dad can't keep their fingers off the shutter. Despite what some people think, the landscape is widely varying, and full of color, and the sheer expanse of the valley calls even the most amateur photographers to attempt great shots.

This is Teakettle Junction, where passers-by have left their teakettles over the years. I don't know how the tradition was begun, but its fun to look through them all and see who's left them. This junction is on the dirt road on the way out to the Racetrack.

The Racetrack. Its a dry lake bed. Its anomoly is the rocks that appear to move on their own across the floor, leaving trails behind them. To this day, even scientists only have theories on how the rocks have moved.

This is also a good representation of the sheer expanse of the valley. I think that's one of my favorite things about DV, why I call it the Big Sky country of California. There are no crowds to fight, no traffic to get stuck in, no electronics to distract me, not even tall buildings to obstruct the view. Its big and wide and open, a place to truly breathe deeply.

This is me, sitting on one of the rocks in the Racetrack that has mysteriously traveled down the lake bed.

This is Andrew, my brother-in-law, standing over Titus Canyon. The photograph doesn't do the colors justice, but those hills are magnificent in all their various shades of burgundy, green, yellow, orange and red.

It was such a great trip. And for those of you out there who might still be doubting Death Valley is a worthy vacation destination, I encourage you to try it on your own. I dare you not to be surprised. For more of my pictures, you can look through this gallery. For Caleb's photos, check out this gallery.

Very nice pictures. Glad you guys had so much fun!
STeve U

Post a Comment