« Home | my confession » | my fabulous husband » | oh to write like Dostoyevsky » | My "I told you so" moment » | Josh, Kel and Kayla » | Happy V-Day! » | silly movie ... favorite sappy quote » | Exceeding my own expectations » | Honestly » | Quote of the day »

the beautiful desert

My low-activity personality is easily overwhelmed with a 40-hour work week, not to mention the other daily demands on my time, ranging from household chores to extracurricular obligations. Sometimes I get to feeling claustrophobic, hurried and harried, there’s too much to do and not enough time to do it, and it seems I have a hard time stopping to just breathe deeply, be where I am. I don’t relax easily.

So I often need a break, a chance to stop and breathe ... and I like to leave home and go camping … this time in Death Valley. I know what you might be thinking … but its not like that. I know not everyone loves the desert. It is definitely a very different kind of beauty than that of most other places. But I love the desert, perhaps partly because it is the exact opposite of that busy feeling with which I am often overwhelmed. Its huge and open, with a big sky. There is nothing to obstruct the view; the eye can see for hundreds of miles. And everywhere you look there is a new kind of beauty to behold. Also, camping itself requires little but eating, sleeping and sightseeing. There’s no schedule, no demands on my time. That freedom, combined with amazing sights to behold, usually results in a truly restful and relaxing weekend.

We truly had a fantastically relaxing weekend. I could have stayed for a month. It just seems easier to breathe in a place like that, easier to relax, to just be, and stand in awe of the grandiosity surrounding me. Four days wasn't nearly long enough.

I haven't had a chance to download my own pictures yet, so there will be more to tell on this subject once that happens. Until then, you can see a few images my dad and my husband captured.

Caleb's Pictures
Dad's Pictures