« Home | silly movie ... favorite sappy quote » | Exceeding my own expectations » | Honestly » | Quote of the day » | a good hair day » | the haves, the needs, and the wants » | Grandma turns 80! » | Weston Christmas » | new pictures uploaded » | MERRY CHRISTMAS! »

Happy V-Day!

You know, when I was single, I used to DREAD Valentine’s Day. I’m sure just about EVERYONE can relate. Who’s bright idea was it anyway … to come up with a holiday that REQUIRES us to be mushy and sappy and conjure up something brilliant for the ones we love? Its too much pressure! The millions of flowers and balloons and jewelry and boxes of chocolate adorning every storefront might as well attack and maim me!! Sometimes I think that would be less painful.

As a single woman I always HOPED the guy I had a crush on would finally declare his undying love for me, or at least send me flowers. But I’m sure the guys felt even more pressure than us women, and stayed away from V-Day like it was the plague. Who knows, the girl might think things more serious than they actually are! Poor singles, Valentine’s Day truly can be a horrible “holiday.” (An actual holiday is one your boss recognizes as a day to skip work with pay.) And as a result of the pressure there’s probably less love shown than on any other day of the year. And yet, as much as I understood that, and even hoped it would pass without consequence … there was still always a part of me that was a little disappointed when the day came and went like any other. Even though I’ve always been against the forced pressure of the advertisers and merchants, a small part of me still wanted a heart-shaped box full of chocolate.

However, now that I am married, I find I’m taking a different view on Valentine’s Day. At first, Caleb and I weren’t going to do anything at all. I think that was habit making the decision. What was always a hateful day must still be a hateful day, right? But then, I realized what an opportunity V-Day could be. I could use it as a chance to love on those around me.

I still think its an overly commercialized holiday, and the pressure induced by jewelry stores and Hallmark stores makes me want to throw all my shoes at the TV (and I have a lot of shoes). But since the personal pressure of finding a “valentine” is over (thanks to my wonderful husband), I’m thinking of Valentine’s Day more as an opportunity to share with those I love just how much I love them. I’ve always thought of V-day as more than just a holiday for couples, but for ALL relationships. And since the stores are full of fun stationery and gifts, it becomes fun to come up with something unique to show those around me that I love and care for them. I do admit having a husband makes that “couple” part of Valentine’s Day more fun than its ever been. I know that whatever I do for Caleb will be appreciated and requited (which was always a fear in those single days).

I still remember what an awful day Valentine’s Day can be, and I understand the desire to just have it pass quickly and quietly. I have spent many a February 14 in hiding. But if we can make it about all our blessed relationships, maybe we can beat the V-Day blues.

Happy Valentine’s Day!