« Home | Joy & Happiness: Cont'd » | things that make me happy: an exercise » | our small comedy of errors » | home improvement » | writer's block » | spam » | the blessings of waiting » | weight-loss update » | coincidence? i think not. » | memory lane »

a change in the routine

As you know, Caleb and I get up early most mornings to head to the gym and work out. And as you know, I pretty much hate it every morning. By the time I'm all the way awake, about 45 minutes later, I'm usually glad that I was unwillingly pulled out of my nice cozy bed and happy sleeping. There are mornings I choose to sleep instead of go the gym, and even though the sleep is happy and my husband has an abuse-free morning, I usually end up missing the morning work out. Though I hate to admit it, its invigorating, energizing, and gets my day started off with a spurt of energy I wouldn't otherwise have.

Well, thanks to Daylight Savings, and longer days in general, we decided it was time to change up the morning routine a bit. Also, we have this big hike coming up in September, and we simply need to be out training for that. So this morning, instead of driving to the gym, we hiked up the hill behind our home, all the way up to the water reservoir. Its a pretty solid uphill hike, and takes about 25 minutes to get there. We have to walk along the street for about 7 minutes before we reach the trail head, but once we leave the road and the sound of the passing cars (not that many at 5:55 a.m.), it was nothing but Caleb and me and the trail.

It was too early for the sun to have actually popped up over the horizon, but it was light enough to turn the sky a light blue and the few wisps of clouds various shades of orange and pink. It was crisp and cool, but not too cold. As we walked up the rolling hills there were bunnies crossing back and forth across the path, spring flowers here and there to be admired, and enough chirping birds to rival the sounds of the road below. It was perfect.

As we climbed and my heart started pumping, I felt more awake than I usually do at that hour. There is just something rejuvenating about being out in the open, walking on real ground instead of manufactured machine rubber. Up at the water tower, the highest point on our little neighborhood hike, slightly out of breath, we could see for miles in every direction, even faintly picking out the skyline of L.A. Its a great little view.

As the responsibilities of the day began calling, we headed back down and home, the whole trip taking no more than 45 minutes. Of all the early morning workouts I've endured over the past six months, this has by far been my favorite. We're going to start doing this a little more regularly, not only in preparation for the upcoming Mt. Langley hike, but just to start the day by enjoying the great outdoors.