« Home | the blessings of waiting » | weight-loss update » | coincidence? i think not. » | memory lane » | unmet expectations » | a saint's prayer » | the wonders of Death Valley » | the beginning » | thoughts on spiritual gifts » | a shocking confession »

spam

This morning I opened my email inbox to find that I had only four messages, all of which were spam! (I know what you’re thinking, “only four spam emails?!” The ones that get through my spam filters are the REALLY sneaky ones.) Lands’ End wanted me to check out their new totes and Pottery Barn is having a big sale (meaning their merchandise is on its way to a somewhat reasonable price). Spam is such a tease in the world of electronic communication. I open my box to see that little number in bold … 4. I eagerly click on the inbox link, to see just which four people couldn’t live another day without communicating with me. I wait impatiently as the page loads to solve for me the first mystery of the morning … only to find, once again, that some stranger out there has found just the right job for me, the perfect mate to fill my heart with joy for the rest of my days, or how to be a millionaire by the end of the week. Wow, just imagine if the spammers’ promises were true! What perfectly fulfilling and happy lives we’d all be living, full of Pottery Barn furniture for which we were smart enough not to pay full price and Lands’ End totes with our initials on them. Hm, maybe I should start paying more attention to the spam in my inbox.