« Home | pictures from Sequoia » | sequoia surprise » | The Known World » | the nail salon » | hope for the rich young ruler » | make him an offer he can't refuse » | a change in the routine » | Joy & Happiness: Cont'd » | things that make me happy: an exercise » | our small comedy of errors »

a year ago right now

Last year at this time, Caleb and I were on our honeymoon in Banff, Alberta, Canada; where we got caught in a blizzard on a glacier! OK, it wasn't really a blizzard, but for us Southern Californians it might as WELL have been a blizzard. I was as unprepared for the weather then as I was this weekend in Sequoia (note the tennies I'm wearing and the attempt to warm my head with my hooded sweatshirt). Sequoia was supposed to be "75 and sunny" but was actually "37 and snowing." Its funny how life repeats itself. I bought a gift shop sweatshirt so I could have another layer of protection against the unseasonably cold weather.

Its weird to think we've just celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary. Does that mean I can't use wedding pictures for gifts anymore?!! And supposedly our "newlywed" excuse is over. But I'm going to buck that arbitrary rule ... I still FEEL like a newlywed.

Our whole four days of vacation were great. We rested, we hiked, we watched movies and ate too many sugary treats. We even stopped at the outlet center in Tulare and did some shopping on our way home. Considering the next couple months are going to be pretty busy ones, the lazy weekend was not only re-energizing, I think we'll find it to have been quite necessary
for our very sanity . We have another four-day excursion planned for Labor Day weekend ... so hopefully the rest and relaxation from this trip keeps us going through the summer ... until we can get away again.

Is it wrong to look at life as a series of getaways and vacations? Of course, the in-betweens are the necessary evils in order to make getaways possible (work mostly). Of course, some would argue its the in-betweens that make the mini-vacations so enjoyable and memorable. So maybe things are already set up as they should be. Anticipation is half the fun, right? So now I find myself eagerly anticipating our 3-night, 4-day excursion to the Eastern Sierras in early September. You know, even as I start thinking about it now, the anticipation and the planning IS fun! (Though I'm not quite sure its exactly half the fun .... )

Once again, for more pictures from our weekend in Sequoia, click here.