« Home | hope for the rich young ruler » | make him an offer he can't refuse » | a change in the routine » | Joy & Happiness: Cont'd » | things that make me happy: an exercise » | our small comedy of errors » | home improvement » | writer's block » | spam » | the blessings of waiting »

the nail salon

Yesterday after work I took myself out. I went to Queen Nails, one of my favorite local nail salons, for a mani/pedi. It had been a while since I'd pampered myself so, and with the weather warming up, I've been wearing flip flops and sandals, and inadvertently showing off BARE TOENAILS! I'm surprised I haven't been heckled by strangers on the streets. It was definitely time to do something about this fashion faux pas, and besides, I love being pampered in a nail salon. I get my feet and legs massaged, my heels cleaned up, my toenails cut and shaped and painted pretty colors. And the same goes for my hands and fingernails. Its a glorious way to spend an hour.

I went to Queen Nails by myself last night, and couldn't help but observe the life of the nail salon. For some mysterious reason, the average nail salon is run entirely by Vietnamese women. These women are sweet, and do wonderful work. They're in the happiness business, they make me happy by making my toes and fingers happy.

My favorite thing about the nail salon is listening to all the Vietnamese being spoken between all the women, as they happily file and paint away on their customers' extremities. And then there are the customers, women who haven't a CLUE what their manicurists are talking and laughing about. But it doesn't seem to matter, every women leaves there happy and fulfilled, no longer caring if all they were being gossipped about.

There's a hilarious video on YouTube that paints a perfect picture of a nail salon experience. I invite you to watch Anjelah Johnson describe it perfectly.