« Home | happy birthday husband! » | they came, they played, they lost » | go angels! » | support your local sheriff » | anza-borrego desert state park » | jon the master builder » | a day in julian, california » | a night at the bowl » | they made us believe there was a chance » | a new look »

good bye Summer

Well, Summer is finally fading into the cooler and shorter days of Autumn, and I am practically jumping for joy! Now, my husband likes to argue that Summer is the best season of the year. The days are long, the weather is warm enough to be out in the evenings without a sweater, its full of fun outdoor activities and sunshine to make you happy. And on many levels, he's right. He really is. And yet, come with me and examine the picture below, and let us remember the less-than-pleasant side of summer.



Do you see those candles? Do you see how they melted and created beautiful sculptures they were never meant to be (or grotesque? I let you decide.)? I think those candles melted like that during the heat wave we had in July, that time when it was so hot I couldn't fall asleep. I feel like those candles most of the summer, every year. If it weren't for air conditioning, I would have no friends. Why is a/c so integral to my social world? Well, I hate being hot, and I tend to complain about it a lot, and if there were no a/c, I would complain so much my friends would stop talking to me, and it would just me and the candles, alone and disfigured. I try not to complain, but not very hard.

And so I welcome, with open arms, the cooler and pleasant days of Autumn. Yes, the days are shorter. I have to drag myself out of bed before the sun is up, and it feels ... wrong.

But at least I'm not hot.

The sun is pretty low in the sky when I get off work, making driving challenging.

But I can drive with the windows down, and its not hot.

The weather can actually be unpredictable sometimes. Like today, I thought it was much warmer than it was, and left the house only to wish later I had a jacket.

But I'll remember next time, and I LOVE my jackets ... which have been crammed in my closet and haven't felt fresh air for nigh on six months now. I'm sure they're anxiuos to be free.

You know what else is awesome about Autumn? The colors. I LOVE the colors! The browns and greens and reds and oranges. They're so rich, and you add to that the low-sitting sun, shining like a spotlight, and you have a brilliant array of fall colors. I can't wait to revel in them (and wear them, of course).

Oh, and I love corduroy, which seems only to be fashionable in October and November.

So, here's to Autumn! I'm sorry for my husband, who must wait another year for his long days and warmer evenings. But perhaps he'll enjoy cuddling with me on the couch instead, drinking hot chocolate and watching chick flicks. I mean really, is there any happier way to spend an evening?

Happy Autumn everyone!

I totally agree about fall being the best time of the year. Pleasant days and cool nights, fall leaves and apples and pumpkins. Even though the days are shorter, they aren't as short as the winter days.

However, I can't believe you don't like summer with your aversion to being cold! I learn something new every day.

Post a Comment